Teenage Pregnancy, Effects on Mental Health
Any female teenager, either married or unmarried who indulges in sexual intercourse with a male, voluntary or otherwise has the chance of becoming pregnant.
There are many reasons for teen pregnancy like pre-marital intercourse, having a long term boyfriend relationship, having a normal marital relationship, becoming a teenage ‘hooker’ or even rape.
Assuming that the teenage girl has voluntary intercourse then there are many methods which can be used to avoid any unwanted pregnancy (which might not always be the case!!), some birth control methods include.
n The use of the birth control pill or the use by the male of a condom.
n An Intrauterine Device (IUD) can be fitted.
n By having a Depo-Provera injection.
n The use of diaphragms, cervical caps or spermicides.
For any teenage girl facing an unwanted pregnancy, life can become very difficult. Putting aside such considerations as to how to cope with motherhood, or whether to have the baby adopted, the immediate concern will be for the effects on the teens body and mental health.
Effects on Teen Lifestyle Caused by Pregnancy on the Teenager.
The teenager will have to consider not only her own bodily and mental needs, but those of the growing baby which she is now carrying within herself, and think about some aspects of her life which may adversely affect the unborn child.
n The use of cigarettes or smoking mild drugs like marijuana, both can have a bad effect on the health of the baby.
n The consumption of beer or other alcoholic drink is not recommended.
n The teen should consider carefully her sleeping and eating habits, always remembering that not only is she now needing the rest for herself and the baby, but is providing nourishment for two.
Whether the teen can adjust to her wanted or unwanted child or not there will be self emotional effects which the mother will experience.
Some Emotional Effects for a Teen Mother To Be.
The way in which the mother handles the advent of her expected child can be a confusing and frightening time, and some of the emotions experienced will be—
n Initially, much excitement at the prospect of becoming a mother.
n Confusion and fear associated with her ability to cope with the birth.
n Fear and confusion as to how to deal with the situation following the birth.
n Perhaps much resentment will be felt, especially if the pregnancy is unwanted, and even more so if caused by rape.
n A feeling of resentment, again in the case of an unwanted pregnancy— “Why did this happen to me?”
Although these responses are a natural way of dealing with the situation, a teen pregnancy can be a very traumatic time for the teenage girl, who is still having to contend with her own personal inner emotions associated with growing up to maturity, without having this additional burden.
A teenage pregnancy can be a very difficult time.
- Teenage Health Habits and Fitness All teenagers, whether male or female want to look good, they want to have firm bodies and healthy minds. But in these modern times it is hard for any teenager to see the need for any form of personal ...
- Teenage Health, Puberty and Delayed Puberty. Puberty in the teenager is the stage of life when they are changing from children into adults, the teens will be totally aware that something is happening within themselves and their bodies. The start of puberty is usually in ...
- Adolescence in Teenagers The period of time between childhood and adulthood is referred to as adolescence, the physical growth of the body of the teen is often intermittent, and puberty is the age when differences are observed between the bodies of ...
- Teenage Emotional Health The teenage years can be difficult for any youngster, the body is going through hormonal changes in the change from childhood to adulthood, the youngster is seeking his/her own identity and independence away from parental discipline. This is ...
- Teenage Depression There are as many misunderstandings made about teenage depression as there are made about understanding teenage behaviour itself. Certainly the teenager is going through a difficult period with the onset of puberty, and all of its ramifications associated with ...